Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yesterday...

was a busy day! My sister-in-law, Tina, and I ran the St. George Marathon. Summary: wind, rain, cold. It was the worst race I have ever run. Before the race, all of the runners are shuttled up to the top of a mountain to the starting line. I ran this race 2 years ago and so it was a little bit familiar. We got off of the bus and huddled around one of the many fire pits they had available to keep warm. Then the rain came. Then the wind. We grabbed garbage sacks and made holes for our head and arms so that we could try to stay dry until the rain stopped. The rain did not stop. In fact, as the race went on, it got worse. Anyone who knows me, knows that I get cold very easily. That being said, even with running 26.2 miles (we can't forget the .2!) I could not get warm. The long-sleeve hoodie I was wearing was soon soaking wet and so I took it off to wrap around my waist. I'm sure the Snow Canyon Mountains on any other day are beautiful to look at and would make for a pleasant run. However, on this particular day, all I saw was the wet pavement. I looked down to keep the rain out of my eyes as well as to prevent my clumsy self from slipping. I learned something on this run: my running shoes are not waterproof...go figure. My socks were saturated by mile 10 and I could hear the slushing in between songs on my ipod. I had to go to the bathroom so many times and actually considered just peeing while I ran. It was raining...would anyone notice? Something else was running in the race...my nose. I tried to sniff everything up, but after an hour or so of that, I just let it run. (I hope the photographers that were along the run got a closeup!). It was not my finest hour. I considered flagging down a shuttle or ambulance because I was so miserable. Point of the story, I finished. Through all of the crummy circumstances, I finished. By the end, my lips were blue and my fingers were so cold that I couldn't peel a banana. It was hard and I finished. So, maybe it was my finest hour.

Me and Tina before the race...yes, it is still dark.

My cheerleaders
Whenever Chloe sees me run she says, "Mom, you run so fast!" I am glad she thinks so...


My dad and little sister, Naomi

After the race, we headed straight home. Last night was our 10 year high school class reunion. My high school years are full of a lot of good memories. Jon and I met our Sophomore year at Durango High School. He is one of the reasons I think I had such a good time and that I have so many fond memories from this time in my life. Looking at pictures from that time, I think we look so different but I don't feel like we have changed very much. Of course, I love him so much more now than I did back then, but to me, he is still the same person. I still look at him and get butterflies like I did in high school. I love that. I also love that I made so many lasting friendships in high school. I am still close with girlfriends from that time. There is something comforting about having a group of people who really knows you and you know them and you have been through life together and you are, in part, who you are because of them. It was kind of strange seeing people that I had not seen in 10 years. 10 years ago, these people were my life. I saw them everyday. I went to dances with them. I ate lunch with them. I hung out with them on the weekends. So many people looked exactly as I remembered them. We caught up on the past 10 years of our lives and ate and laughed. It was awkward at times, but I am glad that we went. Here are some pictures that I found in one of my high school boxes. (Not my favorite, but I think that my mom has most of my pictures).

Senior Prom 1998


Who is the guy in front with the GR crown and LOTS of hair??? Jon. Poor Jon. He misses his hair.

5 comments:

the heiner family said...

Ahh high school...So not looking forward to the 10 year reunion but you gotta go-even if it is just to laugh right? And I am so jealous that you ran in the marathon! Before I got pregnant, I was getting all into doing one but now I am lucky that I can walk so we will see if that marathon ever comes!

J.B. said...

Dude I almost fell off my chair when I saw the get-up you were wearing at the marathon!!!! Did you really represent Team Chasqui the entire race??? I really, REALLY hope that you do a race report on the team website and put some pictures up. Congrats dude!!!!!

The Graf Family said...

Congrats on finishing the marathon! You are such a trooper. The way you wrote about it was sooo funny. I loved seeing your high school pictures. How fun. Love, Alisha

Ashley said...

Wow, that really is amazing you finished. I'm pretty sure I'd give up. I can't really be sure though since I'd NEVER run a marathon to begin with. Way to go!! Love the highschool pics too. So fun!

Amy said...

Those pictures are hilarious! Looking at high school pictures is hilarious! How was the reunion?