Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rock Stars

When I was 19, my favorite singer in the entire world, Martina McBride, came to Vegas. 
I knew all of her songs. I knew how many kids she had (names and ages!). I knew her concert schedule. Okay, I stalked her a little. 
Anyway, when I found out she was coming to Vegas I, of course, bought tickets. But her visit to Vegas this time also included a meet and greet CD signing at a local mall. 
Seriously? I could meet her in real life???
No question. I cleared my schedule. My Mom and I ran to Tower Records to purchase clean, 
in-the-wrapper CDs of her latest album so that it would be perfect for her to sign. We waited in line for our turn. The closer I got, the worse I smelt. Ridiculous amounts of sweat. This person for whom I had become slightly obsessed with was sitting a few feet away from me. I was completely star struck.
When I reached the front of the line and I approached the signing table, I panicked. All of the clever things I had rehearsed to say to her slipped my mind. She asked my name. I told her. My mind raced. I need to say something!
And then it happened.
"Martina, you are such an awesome singer!" I blurted out.

Are you kidding me? You are such an awesome singer??? Did I just say that out loud? As if she didn't already know that.  

Fast forward to this past weekend.

As a photographer, I find myself constantly researching other photographers and their work. I have kind of become sort of obsessed with a few of them. One of my favorites is a woman by the name of Cheryl Muhr and I spent this past weekend in Dallas at one of her workshops. She only allows a limited amount of people to attend each workshop and so I felt like I was just hanging out with her. From the moment I saw her, however, I was star struck. She was famous to me. I felt like I knew everything about her (I've got to work on that stalker-ish side of me!). 
She is amazing. Not just her work, but as a person.
At the end of the workshop, I wanted to thank her and so I approached her and she reached out and gave me a hug. My heart started to race. I wanted to say something. I wanted to thank her. I wanted to praise her. Instead...well...
"Cheryl, you are such an awesome photographer!" I said.
Are you kidding? Is that the best that I could come up with? 



Point of the story? 
If I ever call you awesome, it's not just some lame attempt at complimenting you. I reserve that word for those who I think are rock stars!

Check out my photography blog to view some of my favorite images from the weekend!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Jamie that is hilarious!!! I think you are awesome :)

Gina DeMarco said...

Jamie you are so adorable! In Thomas language "you are the most awesomer person I know!"

Anderson's said...

That is hilarious!

Cassondra said...

Too funny!

How do you know Amy Leavitt? She is one of my aunts closest friends! It's a small world!

Tonia and Joshua said...

lol That is hilarious! I love reading your blog, you have a great sense of humor! :)