Sunday, July 4, 2010

God Bless the U.S.A...

...and my brother.


I am the oldest of 6 kids. I spent most of my childhood telling people that I was the oldest of 4 kids. My little sisters, Elizabeth and Naomi, didn't join our family until I was 19 and then when I was 24.
For 19 years, Weston was the baby of our 4 kids...the youngest of the "first batch" as we call it.
I was 7 when Weston was born. I remember the day my Dad told us that Weston was born and how weird Jason and I thought the name Weston was. I remember getting to dress up in a hospital gown and mask when I met my little brother for the first time. Weston had a lung that collapsed shortly after he was born and had to spend his first days in the NICU. I remember seeing him hooked up to needles and IVs, laying in an incubator. He was a big baby...9 pounds, 1 ounces. He looked out of place amongst all of the other premature babies in the NICU. I remember running all the way home from school the day my Dad said Weston was coming home from the hospital. I remember my Dad lifting me up above the side of Weston's crib and how happy I was that he was home and safe.
My baby brother decided last year to join the Air Force. Not that he asked for our votes in the matter, but I don't know that we really wanted our baby brother joining the military. Not that I don't LOVE our military. I do. But I also love that I am not directly emotionally vested.
Weston entered Basic Training last October. After 3 months of training, my parents traveled to Texas to attend his graduation. Not only did he graduate, but he earned countless awards for his stellar performance.
Yes, I am bragging.
He got to come home for a short leave for Christmas. We ate up all of our time with him. But just when we were getting used to him being around, he was off again for further training in his specialty.
It has been over 6 months. We miss him. I miss him.
But guess what?
I get to see him soon. A couple of weeks in fact.
I can't wait.
I just want my brother to be home and safe.
4th of July has new meaning to me this year. I am so grateful for this country. It has been blessed and we as a people have been blessed.
I want to thank my brother and all who have served in the armed forces for this country. They work everyday to preserve my freedoms and my way of life and sometimes I forget that while I am safe in my home, they are off fighting. For me.
Thank you.


Weston's Farewell Dinner

Saying goodbye

5 comments:

Amy said...

Does your brother read your blog? If not, you really should send him that post. I was getting a little emotional and I haven't ever met him!

BTW- I LOVE your Christmas in July post!

Jax said...

I wasn't going to post because I am ashamed to make it known that I'm here again... and it's only been a day. But even if your brother never sees this I need to express it:

Thank you, Weston! You serve complete strangers not knowing how far that service reaches. Thank you to you and all your comrades. I love my country because of what you make it.

the heiner family said...

What a great post! I don't remember the millitary-Weston...I just remember the cute little brother-Weston. I was only around for the first batch though(and I love that name:). How exciting that you get to see him soon! And that he gets to meet Ava! What a lucky family!

The Graf Family said...

Weston looks so good in his uniform. That is really cool that he choose the Air Force. I wish we could see him soon too. I am glad that he is safe and will be home. Enjoy the momments and create the memories. Have fun.

brittanydaw said...

my son's name is Weston! It is a family name on my husband's side. Love it!