Friday, July 16, 2010

I Don't Like Camping


...but they do.


So, we went.
Don't get me wrong, I love nature...I just don't like to sleep in it. My Mom assured me that we wouldn't really be "camping" per say. She rented a cabin so I agreed to go.
My Grandpa's side of the family has a family reunion every year. This year it was at Moon Lake. Sounds pretty, huh? It was. Here was the view from our cabin:



It is nice to catch up with relatives and also get away. This get away was so far up into the mountains that I didn't get cell phone coverage...which meant no phone or internet (gasp!). I was really roughing it.
Jon was not able to come because of work and because of a certain game (which we don't like to mention around our home these days) that would be on t.v. And, well, with the no reception thing, that also included t.v., so he was out.
So, the kids and I set out with my parents and the girls for the 10 hour car drive.



Me and Beck going crazy in the car

It was not pleasant. The kids (and I) were a little bit too close for too long. And I had mistakenly told the kids that we were going camping at the very beginning of the trip. Pretty much for 9 1/2 hours the kids took turns asking if we were there yet. We let them all loose as soon as we arrived.
We checked in to our cabin...oh...that was built in the 1930's. One quick look at the place and I actually considered pitching a tent. I sprayed our room down with bug spray.
We settled in and met with everyone for a hoe down.
We had dutch oven for dinner and listened to a live blue grass band. I left early to feed Miss Ava, but they passed out little flashlights to everyone and when the sun went down, the band sang "Little Joe the Wrangler" and "You Are My Sunshine" which were my great-grandparent's favorite songs.



Naomi and Chloe telling ghost stories with their new flashlights

The morning was filled with BINGO, pony races, a pinata and an auction.

Chloe and her game face

Beckham was the only kid who actually "galloped" for the race. Everyone else just ran with a stick between their legs.

My Dad. He's hardcore.

So is my Mom.

4 Generations apart

We had a really good time and the "camping" part wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I started to think that we should camp more with the kids because they love it so much. As we were packing up to leave, my Grandma reminded me to check the kid's heads for ticks when we got home.
Then I remembered why I don't like camping.

2 comments:

the heiner family said...

Jamie, you are suuuuuuch a good mom! I have CONSIDERED taking my kids to the ward campout but only to the dinner/smores part...has that ever happened? No. And that is the easy part!
Oh and I love Chloe's game face! It totally looks like Jon's game face!

Melissa D. said...

I am with you-- I am SO not a camper! What a beautiful place!