Monday, September 15, 2008

Sweet Sundays


I LOVE baking...let me rephrase that...I LOVE SWEETS!!! If it is a baked good, chances are that I will eat it. I also LOVE Sundays. Not only do we have a day filled with family, church and naps, but it is also a day that Chloe and I bake. Every Sunday, Chloe and I talk about what we are going to bake that day. After church and after lunch, I put on my apron and Chloe runs up to her room to put on her "April" (that's what she calls an apron...which is actually a pair of overalls that she thinks looks like an apron!). We wash our hands, open our cook books and start mixing the ingredients together. We don't really have these really big talks or in-depth conversations, but I hope that this will be a tradition in our home and that as she grows older, it will be our special time together.


This is ChloƩ trying to convince me that she should crack the eggs this time




For yesterday's treat, we made homemade Oreos. I have used a few different recipes for these cookies, but here is the recipe we used yesterday. It is SO easy and So good. We all loved them!

Cookie
1 devils food cake mix
3/4 cup Crisco
2 eggs

Frosting
1/2 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 cube butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp. vanilla
(we also like to add a little bit of food coloring to make the frosting look pretty!)

In a bowl, combine all cookie ingredients. Roll into balls. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Let them cool completely. In a separate bowl, mix all frosting ingredients together. Frost one side of cookie and then place the other cookie on top (sandwich like). Make a plate of at least 6 cookies and deliver them to Jamie...Thanks!

6 comments:

tbyrd said...

Perfect, another baker in the family. I hope her baking will take after her mom's. Always room for more goodies. Maybe she can bake some for her auntie the next time were in town.

Anderson's said...

I LOVE homemade oreos. I use the same recipe. Except I am lazy and just buy frosting. I love your tradition. Andi loves to bake brownies with me! It must be a girl thing!

Jas & Cam Fam said...

What a cute idea! I might have to copy your little tradiition! I love the pictures. Um, I didn't think it ws possible but have you gotten even smaller?!
I also LOVE the pictures of Chloe in her bed! So cute. Macy was the same way. She just wanted to hang out on her bed or in her room. It was great!

Lynt said...

Jamie~ I love you! Your blog is awesome! Please keep it updated! Does Melissa have a blog? I miss you!

danielle said...

Hey! It's Danielle. I just want to mention that only Chloe can wear overalls with nothing underneath and still pull it off looking cute!

Erin said...

What a fun tradition. Those oreos sound delicious. Your blog is beautiful--you are such a great photographer.