Thursday, November 26, 2009

Blessed

We have lived in our new house for less than a month. Before we received the keys, Jon and I thought that it would be a good idea to have Thanksgiving at the new house this year...as a sort of "house warming"-type event. It's obvious that I didn't think that invitation through. I spent a good part of yesterday and all morning today cooking, baking and cleaning. And although it was so much work, while everyone was sitting around the table, I felt joy. Real joy. For family. For Food. For my life.
I have been so blessed. In the past week or so, I have come to realize the true blessings in my life. I am so blessed that it makes me feel guilty sometimes. If I really sit down and begin a mental list of the blessings I have been given, both temporal and spiritual, I am overwhelmed by how much goodness for which I have to be thankful.
Tonight I opened my refrigerator and it was overflowing with leftovers, while I am aware of so many who didn't have very much to eat today.
I recognized an obvious absence of my parents at the dinner table. They were in Texas at the Air Force Basic Training graduation of my little brother, Weston. I am so grateful for the determination and sacrifice he and so many others give to serve our country for my freedom.
This morning I got to snuggle with my kids in my bed before starting my day. I got to kiss my husband before I sent him on last-minute errands and again when he returned safely. I got to feel my unborn daughter kick and squirm. I got to spend today with the people I love in the comfort of a warm home.
Tonight before I go to sleep I will count my blessings instead of sheep...
Thanks be to my Heavenly Father for giving me life.
A really good life.

(Weston is the really cute one with the glasses!)







1 comment:

Amy said...

I love all of the families on the stairs - how fun!

I don't plan on hosting Thanksgiving at my house for a VERY, VERY long time - it definitely sounds like too much work!